Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Perpetual Victimhood and the Decline of Personal Responsibility

I've been thinking about this for a long time but something that Elizabeth Warren, the Democratic candidate for Senate in Massachusetts, said today really upset me.

After being caught shamelessly lying about her "cherokee heritage" she attempted to shift the conversation away from her brazen lie to an attack on how Scott Brown hates women. Amazingly, in the fantasy world that Elizabeth Brown lives in it is now sexist to call a proven liar a liar - if she happens to be a women.
“The only one as I understand it who’s raising any question about whether or not I was qualified for my job is Scott Brown and I think I am qualified and frankly I’m a little shocked to hear anybody raise a question about whether or not I’m qualified to hold a job teaching,” she said, pushing to put Brown on defense. “What does he think it takes for a woman to be qualified?”

Of course, Brown never once questioned her qualifications; he only questioned her credibility, which as Warren's history of being a liar seems like a fair question to ask.

Warren's descent into perpetual victimhood is one of the most disgusting things about modern American society. Nobody wants to take personal responsibility anymore because it is easier to blame someone else and it protects your ego by blaming your failures on outside forces.

I don't know exactly when the perpetual victimhood mentality really started to take hold but I suspect it took root during the movement to claim that any time something bad happens to a minority then it is because of discrimination and bigotry.

Did I get fired from my job because I lacked a strong work ethic? Of course not, I got fired because my boss hates handicapped people. Did I not get hired because I am slightly less qualified than someone else? Nope, it was because of racism. Am I not getting paid as much as John Doe because I work fewer hours and receive more health benefits? Absolutely not, it's because my employer is a sexist.

Over and over again we see our goverment openly rooting for people to give up personal responsiblity and to join the brotherhood of perpetual victims. Just a week or so ago we saw the Department of Justice file a federal discrimination lawsuit against the city of Jacksonville because the city firefighters partly base their promotions on how well the firefighters do on a written skills test. The DoJ claimed that the test is racist because the black firefighters don't do as well as the white firefighters do.

It seems to me that crying racism or sexism or any other form of bigotry simply implies that the "victim" is unable to rise through the ranks or survive in the world without mamma government there to treat them as children unable to care for themselves. That to me is much more of a bigoted mindset than just about anything the government is fighting against.

There is a reason that liberal politicians seeks to expand the brotherhood of perpetual victims though - it not only keeps them in power it gives them even more power. Why do you think Obama, Pelosi, etc... have expended so much of their energy on the myth that the GOP is engaged in a "war on women" or "war on minorities?" They have no positive record to stand on so the only way they can win is by getting a huge segment of America to believe that they are the victims that only an ever expanding government can protect and keep safe.

I will never understand why someone would let themselves be conned into the becoming perpetual victims. Is there genuine racism and sexism out there? Yes and we should fight to eradicate those evils from our world but when the brotherhood of perpetual victims chimes in and makes every negative comment out to be the work of nefarious agents it diminishes actual victims.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HyperSmash [Valid Atom 1.0]